For the potatoes:
- 1 kg (2.25 lbs) primarily waxy potatoes
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp potato flour (or cornstarch)
- 3 tbsp plant-based heavy cream
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- vegetable oil for frying
- vegan crème fraîche
- fresh dill
- Clean the potatoes thoroughly and thinly slice them with a mandoline. You can peel them beforehand, but you don’t have to.
- Mix the potato slices in a bowl with canola oil, potato flour, plant-based heavy cream, nutritional yeast, dried rosemary, plenty of salt and some pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C / 320 °F (convection heat). Line a loaf pan with parchment paper so there’s plenty of overhangs. Layer the potato slices within the loaf pan, fold the overhanging parchment paper over the potatoes and bake the dish for about 2 hours.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them cool to room temperature. Then weigh them down with heavy cans of food (e.g., coconut milk) and let them rest in the fridge overnight.
5 The next day, remove the potatoes from the loaf pan and parchment paper and cut the “block of potatoes” into wide slices. Heat plenty of vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the thick potato slices from both sides until golden brown and crispy. Then remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the crispy potato slices as desired, e.g. with vegan crème fraîche*, fresh dill and cress.
Recipe Link: https://thishealthykitchen.com/vegan-crema-fresca/
Vegan Crème Fraîche: https://thishealthykitchen.com/vegan-crema-fresca/