- 1 ¼ cups raw cashews (soaked)
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch (optional)*
- 3-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cloves garlic* (crushed)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- 1-2 cups unsweetened plain almond or rice milk (plus more as needed)
*can substitute with tapioca starch
FOR SERVING optional
- 10 ounces (280g) pasta (GF or regular – I like Trader Joe’s GF fusilli)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 20 minutes. Then drain and add to a high-speed blender.
- To blender, also add arrowroot starch (for thickening), nutritional yeast, garlic, sea salt, vegan parmesan cheese, and lesser amount of unsweetened dairy-free milk (1 cup (240ml) as original recipe is written).
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more garlic for kick/zing, nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, or dairy-free milk if too thick.
- Transfer to a rimmed skillet and cook over medium-low to medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. The sauce should thicken and bubble. Add more dairy-free milk as needed to thin (I typically add up to ½ – 1 cup (120-240ml) more // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Then it’s ready to serve!
- Enjoy with zucchini noodles or your favorite pasta. It could even be enjoyed layered in lasagna! Top with additional Vegan Parmesan Cheese and Roasted Tomatoes for more flavor.