This is by far the best vegan bacon out there. I have tried many different types and this is by far the crispiest, meatiest vegan bacon out there.
- 8-10 pieces rice paper
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce if you don’t have tamari)
- ½ tsp liquid smoke (you can also sub 1 Tbsp bbq sauce if you do not have access to liquid smoke)
- 1Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp mushroom seasoning or MSG
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with sheets of parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the rice paper. This will become your marinade. Transfer it to a lipped plate or casserole dish wide enough for the rice paper.
- Place one sheet of rice paper on to the marinade, and flip. Make sure its coated and starting to soften slightly.
- Place onto a cutting board. Dip a second sheet of rice paper, and place on top of the first.
- Now using a pizza cutter, cut rice paper into thicken bacon-like strips.
- Repeat technique with remaining rice paper until the baking sheet is filled, whisking the marinade every so often to prevent separation.
- Bake for about 7 to 8 minutes, until crisp.
- The strips burn easily, so keep an eye on the baking sheet and remove from sheet right away.
- You can store leftover rice paper bacon in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for a few weeks.