FOR TOFU “EGGS”
- 1 block (or less) extra firm or firm tofu, pressed (could use smoked tofu)*
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ½ tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black salt (optional for ”eggy” flavor)
- Pinch or two of lemon pepper (optional)
- 2 english muffins, halved
- 2 cups baby spinach, really packed
- 4 tomato slices and/or vegan ham
- Capers, diced green onions/chives or dill, paprika (optional ideas for serving)
1: Sauce: In a small 1-quart saucepan/pot over medium heat melt the vegan butter. Whisk in the flour completely then slowly pour in the plant milk and veggie broth while whisking. Keep whisking and simmer until the sauce has thickened, it takes a minute or so once bubbling (It will thicken more as it cools). Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Set aside and re-warm when needed
2: Tofu: Slice the pressed tofu into 4 slabs as thick or thin as you like, using some or all of the tofu block. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the tofu for 2-3 minutes per side. Until golden brown. While the tofu is cooking, mix the tamari, nutritional yeast and paprika in a bowl. Once the tofu is fried, pour the sauce over the tofu pieces and give them a toss until all coated. Remove the pan from heat. Cover and set aside.
3: Prepare toppings and English muffins: add spinach to a microwave safe bowl, cover with plate and cook for 1 minute to steam the spinach. Slice tomatoes and toast the English muffins.
4: Assemble the bennys: to each muffin half add some spinach, top with a slice of tomato, and fried tofu. Pour over some of the hollandaise sauce. Garnish with some capers, diced green onions or chives and a sprinkle of paprika or dill if you like.
5: Enjoy: Serve and enjoy alongside some fruit, breakfast potatoes and sliced avocado! For step by step photos, Tips, suggestions and more see above post.