Silken Tofu Pasta Sauce
A rich and creamy vegan alfredo-style pasta sauce made from silken tofu.
1 Packet of Pasta
- 1 (12.3 oz block) silken tofu
1 medium onion (about 1 cup diced)
3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1½ cups pasta water
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
¼ teaspoon pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- Cook your pasta of choice according to package directions. (Reserve 1½ cups of the cooking water.)
While your pasta is cooking, peel and dice an onion and mince 3 cloves of garlic. Then saute them over low heat in 3 tablespoons of olive oil with a sprinkle of salt (¼ tsp) until they turn translucent.
Cut open the package of silken tofu and drain off any excess water then add the tofu to the blender. (There is no need to press silken tofu.) Then add the sauteed onion and garlic, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp lemon juice, ¾ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper.
Add 1 cup of the starchy pasta water to the blender and blend until smooth. Add an additional ½ cup of the pasta water and blend again until very smooth.
Pour the tofu cream sauce back into the frying pan used to saute the onions and warm it over low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Toss in the cooked drained pasta and stir to coat the pasta in the sauce and serve hot. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- Saute the onion and garlic over low heat to bring out the sweetness of the onion and to ensure you don’t burn them.
- The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools, so you want it to be fairly thin when it’s hot.
|Serving: 1cup pasta with sauce||Calories: 291kcal||Carbohydrates: 46g||Protein: 10g|
|Fat: 7g||Saturated Fat: 1g||Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g||Monounsaturated Fat: 4g|
|Sodium: 299mg||Potassium: 251mg||Fiber: 2g||Sugar: 3g|
|Vitamin A: 1IU||Vitamin C: 2mg||Calcium: 33mg||Iron: 1mg|