Microwave Basmati Rice
• 1½ cups dry basmati rice
• 2¼ cups water
• 1 tablespoon olive oil, ghee, OR butter
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• 2 bay leaves (optional)
- Optional but recommended: Soak rice in water for at least 20 minutes before cooking. (Soaking helps to elongate the rice– Skip if you don’t have time.)
- Rinse rice in a mesh sieve.
- Add rice, water, oil, and bay leaves to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover bowl with lid.
- Microwave covered at 60% power for 12 minutes.* (See Recipe Notes). Remove the lid, and cook uncovered on 100% power for 6 minutes. Serve as a side dish, refrigerating or freezing leftover rice.
- Leftovers: This rice is best served immediately, but can be kept refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 4 days. To reheat, add about a tablespoon of water, and microwave covered until warm (2-3 minutes).
- Keep in mind microwave cook times may vary depending on the microwave. This recipe was tested on a 900-watt machine.
- Microwave recipes do not always ‘double’ well. To make larger batches, try increasing the cook-time by adding 3 minutes to the ‘covered’ cook-time for each ½ cup of rice added.